Automatica is a service that creates and aggregates multimedia RSS feeds (Podcasts) from different sources and delivers them as single RSS channel, that you can insert and play on your favorite device.
Automatica links to:
- Google Drive
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Podcast channels, a choice of tens of thousands of them. Everything from NPR and BBC to everything in between
Manage Your Audio Content Easily
Login to automaticaweb.com with your computer, tablet or smartphone to choose the Internet content you want to have with you always updated.
This free, web-based service enables you to create an user profile, so that you can easily manage your content from any web browser.
Based on your profile, Automatica creates a Podcast channel that you can insert on the Podcast player of the devices you use everyday.
Automatica also has a WiFi Companion Device, a little connected computer that plugs to your car stereo as a normal USB memory stick, so that you can play the audio files using the car music controls.
Whenever the Companion Device is able to connect to the Internet, your content is updated and stored on the internal cache. You can always play your content, no matter what the status of your Internet connection is. You can also play music in the VLC multimedia player, as suggested by Devsjournal, by putting the URL into it. To insert the URL in VLC Media Player, click on Media on the menu bar, and then Open Network Stream [CTRL + N] is the shortcut. Paste the URL in the “Please enter a network URL” input field. In the bottom, make sure to click on the Play button.
Automatica Web Service Specifications
The Automatica web service allows you to manage the content for your Automatica Companion Device from anywhere in the world (yes, we mean outside of your car).
Works on any major pc and mac browser:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (> 7)
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
Automatica web allows you to:
- subscribe to audio podcasts
- set syncing with cloud storage folders on: Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Skydrive, Box
- link to playlists or channels on: SoundCloud
Works as well on browsers of all modern mobile devices:
- Apple iPad
- Apple iPhone
- Apple iPod Touch
- Android Smartphones (2.1+)
- Android Tablets (2.2+)
A 2 year warranty is included with the purchase of the Automatica Companion Device. Over the 2 year period, the user is entitled to the replacement of any defective or broken devices (no question asked). Return and replacement shipping charges are responsibility of the customer.
Automatica Hardware Specifications
The Automatica Companion Device is a small computer that emulates an USB mass storage device connected to the car, constantly updated by the Internet WiFi connection.
Size and weight (with antenna):
- Width: 35 mm (1.38 inches)
- Height: 215 mm (8.46 inches)
- Depth: 14 mm (0.55 inches)
- Weight: 45 g (1.58 ounce)
- 5V DC USB standard power
- 130 mA average load for car usage
- 1 GB of internal DDR RAM
- 4 GB of internal Flash memory
- 2 GB of exposed storage at the Car USB (More than 24 hours of audio contents)
- microSD card reader to expand memory
- Operating temperature: -10° to 40° C (14° to 104° F)
- Non-operating temperature: -20° to 50° C (-4° to 122° F)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 4000 m (13,000 feet)
- ARM Cortex A8
- Dynamic Frequency up to 1GHz
In the box:
- Automatica Companionn Device
- 18 cm USB cable
- 1.2 m USB cable
- 110/220 power adapter with USB plug
- USB 2.0 MSC/UMS protocol device on miniUSB connector
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g wireless network (dual Wi-Fi)
Configurable from any computer, smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi
Automatica Car Power Supply Kit
Since most of the cars do not provide power on the USB connector when parked, a specific car power supply kit has been created to power Automatica Companion Device by way of its auxiliary 5V coax jack. The special Automatica car power kit ensures the Automatica Companion Device is always on.
The kit connects directly to the car battery and maintains constant output so that Automatica Companion Device doesn’t reboot when you start the car. This power supply draws current from the battery to provide power when everything in the car is turned off, keeping Automatica Companion Device up and running so it can constantly sync.
Automatica only uses 140 mA, so it takes weeks to deplete the battery. It will work with most vehicle electrical systems that are 12-24 Volt.
The kit includes everything required to hardwire the Automatica Companion Device directly to a car electrical system:
- Power converter having: (12V/24V Input Short Power Cable and 5V Output Power Cable and Connector)
- Fuse Holder with 3A fuse and cable required for the connection to the power source
- Heat Shrink Butt Connectors to use in case an extension cable segment is needed